Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I hate salesmen. I was one for a week.

You can be a “salesmen” in real life and just suck at it when you actually have to make money doing it. Let’s go into this further.
I was just in a sales job for a grand total of a week before I had to quit to hold onto the fraction of dignity I had left. I went into selling cell phones. You know those obnoxious people at mall kiosks that shout at you as you are having a nice walk to the nearest Nordstroms? Yeah I was one of those. For the record I did not sell a single phone in the five days that I worked. I was too nice. I saw the people from their side, that really they did not need a new phone today…and that was ok. This is not the attitude one has to have if they are to venture into the world of sales. The weird thing is I can “sell” anything in real life.
I grew up able to convince my parents I needed anything. I really “needed” those new jeans. I “needed” a new car. I even convinced my whole family we just had to go to Aruba even though I had gone just six months prior. Why was I so good at it? Well the only answer I can think of is that if one really wants something they will find a way to get it. Add into the fact my uncanny ability to read peoples emotions and, there ya go, I could sell anything. I just could not anything I did not really care about.
The cell phone business is a toughy. You only get paid commission if you sell a certain about of phones. If not, it is minimum wage for you. It is the type of business where one does not need an education to make a decent living, they just need to know how to hustle. So what this means if every single person I was employed with was of the uneducated, thug like, people who actually use the words, “I’ve got baby mama drama” and greet customers by saying, “wut up foo”. It was inevitable that I would not stay there.
So once again, after just a week, I am unemployed. The good news is I might have some writing gigs coming up (unpaid but writing nonetheless). I also have a chance to get hired at the one and only Starbucks! Now this might not seem like a fabulous and exciting job. But, it does put some money in my pocket and gives me a chance to actually talk to people without having to sell them something. I don’t have to lay out reasons why they need that double frap in their hands so I can just be my nice ole’ self. We shall see how it goes. For now I am biding my time with working on writing samples, and being a good housedaughter, cooking wonderful meals and all.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Cell phone salesperson is about the worst I could think of for sales. I've never met one who didn't annoy me. Although you could sell a flashlight to a blind man, I don't see you bugging complete strangers to sell phones. Starbucks would be better than a lot of retail. People come in, get what they want and you don't have to worry about returns, mispriced items and being stuck with obnoxious customers for a long time. Don't work in a clothing store you like though, you will never get home with much of a paycheck. Good luck with the job hunting